Development is enflamed with the combination of the younger and elder. Today’s youth is the elder of the future. All in the golden-age is the contribution of the elders and the present world is the result of the efforts and hard-works of them, but their colorful and dreamful lives become faded at sixty. The elderly people are not burdens to our society, if we draw care and support properly, they can be turned into blessing for our families and the society. SSS adopted the uplifting the quality of the lives of the elderly people program in the beginning of 2016.
The main goal of the program is to eradicate present obstacles on the way of old people, improve their lives quality and establish an elders-friendly society.
Objectives & Methodology
- Organizing the elder and establishing social center for them;
- Providing old-age allowances and forming special savings and pension scheme;
- Paying the best son accreditation to them who taking care of their old parents properly;
- Providing special credit and training to the elderly people belonging to the ultra-poor segment;
- Providing healthcares to the old people and creating para-physiotherapist;
- Adopting activities to provide special social benefits to the elderly people.
Presently, SSS has been implementing the uplifting the qualities of the lives of the elderly people program in Dainna and Hugra unions of Tangail Sadar upazilla. A survey was conducted on the elderly people in the working area. 3,420 elderly persons were included in this program, wherein 1,667 are women and 1,753 men.
Activities Put into Operation in 2018-19
- Imparting training on uplifting the quality of lives and IGAs to the elder.
- Providing supporting equipment like blankets, shawls, walking sticks, commode-chairs, umbrellas, wheel-chairs and old-age allowances.
- Observing the elderly people and national days, executing funeral rites, organizing elderly people fair and arranging monthly meetings and seminars.
- Supplying physiotherapy and healthcares and financial services.
- Paying the best elders and best son accreditation to the selected people etc.
Congenial Configuration of the Program till 30 June 2019
- Number of social centre for elderly people: 02
- Number of union committees: 02
- Number of ward committees: 18
- Number of village committees: 36
The uplifting the qualities of the lives of the elderly people program has drawn the attention of people within a short time. The activities under the program have become supportive to the destitute and underprivileged elderly people.
Old-age Allowance Distribution
In 2018-19, a total of 200 people under the uplifting the qualities of the lives of the elderly people program received monthly old-age allowance of Tk. 600 per head.
Old-age-friendly Equipments Providing
In 2018-19, 100 blankets, 100 shawls, 40 walking sticks, 40 commode-chairs, 40 umbrellas and four wheel-chairs were distributed among the elders.
In 2018-19, two elders got Senior Citizen Award, 14 persons Elderly People Award and 12 people Best Son Award. Tk. 26,000 was provided as grant for the funeral rites of 13 elders. At the same time, 40 elders got training on Beef Fattening, 40 on Cow Rearing, 20 on Vegetable Cultivation and 20 Poultry Rearing.